Pokémon Vortex
Adrahil013

Basic Guide to Catching Pokemon

A Basic Guide to Catching Pokemon in Pokemon Vortex

Catching Pokemon, as in any Pokemon game, is an essential first step in Pokemon Vortex. This guide aims to help you by setting out a strategy which will hopefully help you to catch those favourite Pokemon of yours and put you on your way to becoming a top trainer.

1. Requirements to Catch Pokemon

Everyone needs to use Pokemon and Pokeballs to catch more Pokemon, and every new trainer is given one Level 18 Pokemon and some Pokeballs to get them started. Of the starter Pokemon available, Charmander is my personal favourite for catching Pokemon on the maps, given its range of strength in it's attacks, though many others are quite capable. As for the level of your Pokemon, up to Level 20 is generally desirable. Currently, I have a trio of Pokemon I use: L18-20 Charmander, Vaporeon and Abra, which gives me a range of types. Remember, we don't want our attacks to be too strong, or we will simply knock out the Pokemon we are trying to catch.

Pokeballs are the basic catching tool available, with Great Balls, Ultra Balls and Master Balls each being better than the last. Be prepared to go through a lot of Pokeballs: I once used 7 on catching one Pokemon since they are guaranteed to catch the Pokemon, even when you get them down to the 10 or less HP that you need to (this is in my experience, I don't know if higher HP Pokemon can be caught with Pokeballs). Ultra Balls are the other ball I use on a regular basis, as they are very reliable (so far, I have managed to catch a Pokemon with 72HP left with one, and haven't missed with one yet, though again, this is only my experience with them). These balls are particularly useful for when you get to catching Legendary Pokemon on the maps, or when you know you can't get a Pokemon down to 10HP without knocking them out.

I need to stress that your starting Pokeballs won't last long, and you will need to battle and win to recieve PokeMoney to buy more (It costs 250 per Pokeball, and 1500 for each Ultra Ball)

2. Go to a map and find Pokemon!

Once you have walked about on the maps you will find Pokemon eventually (you may just walk past a Pokemon if you don't want it). Once you are in a battle with the Pokemon you are trying to catch, now you need to weaken it to be able to catch it (10HP or less for a Pokeball). Unfortunately for most of us, this means maths (le gasp!), or just using Ultra Balls every time (expensive for a new player). Really, it just takes some practice and getting to know your attacks and what damage they do against which types of Pokemon.

Example: Level 18 Charmander does the following with its attacks:

Scratch-12, Ember-18, Slash-22, Fire Punch-34

Against a Rock-type Pokemon with 60HP (eg a L15 or L12 Shiny Pokemon), which means all your attacks do half damage: Fire Punch(43HP left)+FirePunch(26)+Fire Punch(9) reduces it to 10HP or less (9 in this case)

Against a Normal-type Pokemon with 60HP: Fire Punch (26)+Slash(4) reduces it to 10HP or less (4 in this case)

Against a Grass-type Pokemon with 60HP (Fire attacks do double damage): Ember(24)+Slash(2) reduces it to 10HP or less (2 in this case)

Having a type chart handy is a great tool for knowing what Pokemon your attacks do more or less damage to (if you are not sure what type your attacks are, go to Pokemon Database and search them up. Attack power is there too). You can see what type the Pokemon you are catching is by clicking on its name in the screen that you pick your Pokemon to battle with, causing the Pokedex sidetab to open with that Pokemon's entry.

Hopefully this guide is useful to you, and good luck with your time on Pokemon Vortex

Pictures to come to this guide in the future