Pokémon Vortex
Sign in to follow this  
chris

Bug User with wrong average exp calculated?

User Cherriehall, currently ranked 6th on the UK leaderboard has an average exp of ~988,000, meaning this has propelled her to the top of the board despite relatively few battles/uniques.

She has a total of 46mil exp, therefore, would have had to have around 50 total Pokemon ni order to have that average exp. She has over 2000 uniques, so this obviously is not possible. Is this a calculation bug or did she win a contest or something?

Average EXP and Total EXP are two different things.

You can have an average EXP of 5000 with 1 Pokémon, but also with 6.
f all 6 would have 5000 EXP, the total would be 30000 EXP.

Their average is just under 1 million EXP, it seems. They likely trained up multiple Pokémon to high EXP, or traded to obtain such Pokémon.

15 hours ago, Auke1993 said:

Average EXP and Total EXP are two different things.

You can have an average EXP of 5000 with 1 Pokémon, but also with 6.
f all 6 would have 5000 EXP, the total would be 30000 EXP.

Their average is just under 1 million EXP, it seems. They likely trained up multiple Pokémon to high EXP, or traded to obtain such Pokémon.

That seems to be not the case here. Did you look at the profile of the user TC was reporting? The user's average should be less than 50k. 

I can see your point.
The user barely has any Pokémon of over 100000 EXP.

They also haven't logged in since the 31st of March 2017, almost two years ago.
To have somehow increased their UK rank by 2 since this topic's creation seems strange as well (they're listed as 4th for me).

The average exp is worked out using the total amount of Pokemon they own not just the number of uniques they have. Remember that people have multiples of the same Pokemon etc. You I guess are assuming that it is the figure on their profile that represents the number of uniques they own being divided by the total exp which isn't how it is worked out.

15 hours ago, Daenerys50 said:

The average exp is worked out using the total amount of Pokemon they own not just the number of uniques they have. Remember that people have multiples of the same Pokemon etc. You I guess are assuming that it is the figure on their profile that represents the number of uniques they own being divided by the total exp which isn't how it is worked out.

I checked all individual Pokémon.
There's only 6 above that average, and many more very much below that average.
The average does not seem correct because of that.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Auke1993 said:

I checked all individual Pokémon.
There's only 6 above that average, and many more very much below that average.
The average does not seem correct because of that.

I don't think you get how the average is calculated. You add together all the exp of every single Pokemon they own and then you divide the total exp by the total number of Pokemon they own (which is all the Pokemon the own regardless of what the exp is). That is how you get their average exp. They may only have a few Pokemon with exp above the average exp but their average can still manage to be what it is. So if someone wants to really figure out whether the average exp of that person is correct then add the exp of every Pokemon they have (you don't have to do that as you have the total exp) and count the number of Pokemon they own which is not the same as the number of uniques they own. Do the division if it isn't the same then yes there would be an error.

Yeah this is the conclusion I came to. There seems no logical reason that the average should be that high. 

The presumption about high uniques meaning a low average was wrong and poorly thought out, I do concede that. But the user doesn't have anything exceptionally high and only a few above the average. Just struggle to see how they can have over 900000 average with that.

7 hours ago, Daenerys50 said:

I don't think you get how the average is calculated. You add together all the exp of every single Pokemon they own and then you divide the total exp by the total number of Pokemon they own (which is all the Pokemon the own regardless of what the exp is). That is how you get their average exp. They may only have a few Pokemon with exp above the average exp but their average can still manage to be what it is. So if someone wants to really figure out whether the average exp of that person is correct then add the exp of every Pokemon they have (you don't have to do that as you have the total exp) and count the number of Pokemon they own which is not the same as the number of uniques they own. Do the division if it isn't the same then yes there would be an error.

It seems I wasn't clear enough.
Although I didn't do a full calculation, I didn't need all Pokémon to find out the average should be lower than it is.

14 hours ago, Auke1993 said:

It seems I wasn't clear enough.
Although I didn't do a full calculation, I didn't need all Pokémon to find out the average should be lower than it is.

Fair enough. Yes when looking at the number of Pokemon that are above their average it does seem to be incorrect. I wish there was a total Pokemon number present.