Pokémon Vortex
TheBedPotato

Impoving the New Map

Would you agree? If not post your Ideas below  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to Necessary Idea 1?

2. 2. Do you want to see Necessary Idea 2?

FIRST OFF: I would like to thank and congratulate @Patrick on creating such a beautiful revamp on the maps we have wandered for years. This is exactly what I needed to boost my moral and to help keep spirits high for the future of the game.

Feedback: The differences between the roaming of the Original Map and the New Map was a bit of a learning curve. To be consistent on the Original Map was to be patient, letting the game load and only moving when you are certain it is nothing worth catching. However the New Map was a lot harder to be consistent in not missing Pokemon you meant to catch. The only consistent way I could come up with (On PC) was to only walk while in the areas you find Pokemon. When you find a Pokemon, regardless if you wanted to catch it or not, STOP walking and rinse and repeat. I tried multiple times to walk and stop when I found a Pokemon I wanted to catch but was too inconsistent and lost out on some Rares and Legendaries.

Necessary improvements for New Maps

1) Make Walking an automatic thing

WHY? - Walking is the key to catching Pokemon consistently. During the event I had to resort to putting tape on my shift button, un-taping to catch (as when taped the game would resort to using "potion" instead the clicked ball) and re-taping my shift button, so as no to wear out my fingers.

IDEA - Switch the moving to automatically walking and running to shift OR Let the player decide which is the automatic feature by adding a toggle switch to the options.

2) Consistency in the catching of Pokemon
Idea 1 - Make the minimum time or space walked between finding Pokemon longer

- It seems that in my testing that you had a chance to find a new Pokemon after a certain time of walking after you find your first pokemon (.5 of a second MINIMUM). If the game is built on a minimum distance walked between Pokemon finds the minimum is 2-3 (tiles) which is much to small. As when you stop movement your character has a de-accelorating function and would count toward that minimum distance.

Idea 2 - Make the character model halt for every Pokemon found

- Just like in the cannon games! This put the player in full control over what they choose to pass on and catch. "If this becomes the decision"...  then I would recommend putting in a toggle switch to this as it would hamper a seamless player experience for some.

Unnecessary Ideas

1) Put a "Town Map" in the game
- Much too often new players would ask where a map location is. Some people get lost easily so the ability to toggle the map or even have a town map in front of the house to help guide new players to finding certain locations for themselves.

2) New Costumes or Character Models

- I am positive you have thought of this already @Patrick seeing that you have a special character designed like Munchlax. But seeing my character come alive on the screen made me want a better looking character.

3) Map Specific sound tracks

- Just like to cannon games that transition from knowing your on a route or in the safari zone with the help of the special music would bring more nostalgia and love for the game.

4) New improved battle layout
- Again I am sure you thought of this @Patrick... But the transition between the roaming of the map to the battle simulation was like playing Sword and Shield to playing Red or Blue version. So I am excited to see you revamp of the battle simulation side of the game in future :)

In Conclusion: I Just want to make sure @Patrick and his crew know that I am personally Joyed by this showcase. And truly believe you have really outdone yourselves in giving the graphics beauty that this game could be.

Edit: Thank You @flamescape as well

Edited by TheBedPotato
  • Love-dis 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

For point 2, I think another possibility would be to program the game in such a way that you can 'go back' to a previous encounter.
That way, if you accidentally 'skip' a Pokémon you want, you can use the feature to still battle that Pokémon (only once).

• Developer

Thanks for the valuable feedback.

I hear you - the biggest problem (and has always been the problem on Vortex) is that feeling when you accidentally skip past a pokemon that you really wanted.

There's a few ideas floating around on how best to deal with this problem. We have to keep in mind that introducing some sort of mechanic to slow down the encounter rate, or halting movement on encounters, can make the game annoying in other ways. Personally, I find that forcing players into an encounter every few paces like the original games is probably one of the worst features of those games. An auto-stop toggle would mitigate this, but you might not always be in the right mode when searching, or you might get tired of the constant stopping and turn it off despite the risk - then back to square 1.

I think there may be some better solutions out there. We'll try to find the best compromise.

• Love-dis 2

I mean the live maps were good u start of where u left off so u dont waste time.......catching is easier but u continuously move to encounter pokemon sometimes u hv to move a lot for a pokemon to appear due to which u lose/miss pokemons

Edited by Darshil_Irex

Another Idea - Since there is a "!" above your head when you encounter a pokemon. @Auke1993 idea of "going back" can work. If the "!" stays on the map longer (like a despawn timer or maximum of 2 encounters) it would give the player time to go back into that instance.

As well as I see how slowing down encounters would make the game annoying @flamescape. But if the spawn timer between instances is humanly impossible to react to, the "biggest problem" will always exist...

With that said, I know you guys have the best intentions when looking for a solution for this problem and hope my and any other peoples ideas are well looked into :)

• Love-dis 1

1 hour ago, TheBedPotato said:

As well as I see how slowing down encounters would make the game annoying @flamescape. But if the spawn timer between instances is humanlyimpossible to react to, the "biggest problem" will always exist...

It's sometimes difficult, but I've managed to react quick enough on quite a few occasions to still obtain the Pokémon. Sometimes it failed, but it is possible.

I found a way to be more effective while still walking at max speed, but it is indeed good we're looking for other and potentially better ways to ensure we can battle the Pokémon we want.

2 hours ago, Auke1993 said:

It's sometimes difficult, but I've managed to react quick enough on quite a few occasions to still obtain the Pokémon. Sometimes it failed, but it is possible.

I found a way to be more effective while still walking at max speed, but it is indeed good we're looking for other and potentially better ways to ensure we can battle the Pokémon we want.

Yep same thing I missed a Shiny Kyurem, Shadow Girantina, Reshiram but it also gave me 16 legendaries in one day and 2 Ultra beasts

How about a system was set up where you add your favourite Pokemon, and once you encounter one of your favourite Pokemon it will stay for around 5 seconds on your screen. Time varies depending upon the rarity of the Pokemon.

Edited by xDemox
  • Haha 1