Pokémon Vortex
dmmnajws

Variant Sprites.

This post is an upgrade to a previous post regarding variant sprites, so here we go.

Metallic sprites are ugly, and they look too much like Normal and Mystic. In fact, if you put these three variants side by side for most pokemons, it just looks like a lazy edit.

Ideas:

This idea does not address the feedback above directly, but its a spicy idea that I think would add an interesting dimension to sprites in vortex. The mystic variant is ment to scare opponents, as if they were "apparitions". With this in mind, add a slight opacity to the mystic variant. As simple as that. Automating this process for all sprites in Vortex should be straightforward with a bash script using ImageMagick on a Linux VM. In fact, this type of solution is what I used to address Idea 2 below.

2. I would guess the main obstacle to address the feedback above (regarding the Metallic variant) is that changing all 2000+ sprites by hand would be a tremendous task. I believe if the work of changing them by hand is "eliminated", most of the burden is taken care of. So I've been experimenting with a solution for this using a bash script using ImageMagick. To test this out I tried to convert the "Normal" sprites into an interesting and cohesive variant - codenamed "Radioactive". I grabbed a pack with 1500 pokemon sprites from the internet, including front/back, in the same format as Vortex (94x94, png) and ran the script. This script applied a random hue change + a yellowish tint + a subtle blur effect. 

I've uploaded to postimages a set of 1000 sprites (front and back), altered by this script: 
Part1: https://postimg.cc/gallery/4hwNsJw
Part2: https://postimg.cc/gallery/q2yjwQk

Note that the hue change is semi-random and in some cases it might not be noticeable and the sprites may look similar to the normal or even shiny variants. Some sprites also may look downright ugly due to poor RNG. This is easily configurable though.

Here are some examples of "fortunate" sprite changes:

257-png-back-female.png257-png-front-female.png384-png-back.png384-png-front.png477-png-back.png477-png-front.png

2-png-back.png2-png-front.png244-png-back.png244-png-front.png579-png-back.png579-png-front.png

389-png-back.png389-png-front.png254-png-back.png254-png-front.png465-png-back-female.png465-png-front.png

Idea 2. has been mentioned in a previous post, but the POC was not as complete. The script has also been updated to come up with more interesting colors. The fundamental reason for this POC is just to to show how quick an interesting variant to substituted the Metallic variant can be created with a bash script using ImageMagick, and without the need for manual intervention besides substitution of the sprites in the backend. Of course I'm assuming Vortex is built in a way that allows that last step to be swiftly done.

I'll be posting some other interesting variation concepts I find while experimenting. I'll post them directly as answers to this post. Till then, cheers! :)

I don't see the shiny sprites changing, at least for all of the real Pokémon.
I expect the developers want to keep those how they are in the main game, meaning colour would only change if a new main Pokémon game has a new colour shiny for something.

• Upvote 2

This post will be edited with the extra interesting alternative variants I came up with (some by accident, some maybe a little too much 😄)

Codename "Vortex":
1-png-front.png2-png-front.png3-png-front.png4-png-front.png5-png-front.png6-png-front.png

Codename "Super Vortex":
1-png-front.png2-png-front.png3-png-front.png4-png-front.png5-png-front.png6-png-front.png

2 hours ago, Auke1993 said:

I don't see the shiny sprites changing, at least for all of the real Pokémon.
I expect the developers want to keep those how they are in the main game, meaning colour would only change if a new main Pokémon game has a new colour shiny for something.

Totally! The Shiny sprites should never change! They should be the same was the ones in the main games. These that I've been experimenting on for fun would be alternatives only to the underwhelming Metallic variant. :)

• Haha 1

i think the metalic varinet is fine but

On 6/22/2022 at 2:37 AM, dmmnajws said:

This post will be edited with the extra interesting alternative variants I came up with (some by accident, some maybe a little too much 😄)

Codename "Vortex":

Codename "Super Vortex":

Totally! The Shiny sprites should never change! They should be the same was the ones in the main games. These that I've been experimenting on for fun would be alternatives only to the underwhelming Metallic variant. :)

'vortex' and 'super vortex' is just too much, too glowy . it might hurt peoples eyes