Pokémon Vortex

Question

I decided to return after over a year. I tried to give Dark Aggron False Swipe since Pokemon Showdown said Aggron could learn it, but I didn't see False Swipe on the list; only all of the other attacking moves. Is there a workaround to this? Are there items in the game, and if so, would using Fling while holding a Focus Sash work for high level Pokemon?

Thanks for reading (and hopefully answering), CosmicHurricane.

7 answers to this question

I assume you decided on False Swipe because it leaves a wild Pokémon with 1 HP in the main games.
Please note that this side effect does not exist within Pokémon Vortex. False Swipe is a basic damaging move, and nothing more.
Similarly, Fling also just deals damage, always the same amount.
Most side effects, outside of potential status afflictions, are not in Pokémon Vortex.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, That1Dragonarian said:

Darn, I guess I should stock up on those if I want to complete the National Dex. Thanks for helping!

They are helpful, but I usually only save them for Legendaries.
A Level 100 Pokémon using Wrap can slowly damage a wild Pokémon, as others have suggested to me.
Personally, I use a team of varying-leveled Pokémon that help me weaken wild Pokémon. I call it my hunting team. Whenever I go to catch a wild Pokemon I use that team.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, That1Dragonarian said:

So is the only way to guarantee catching a Pokemon without killing it to use a Master/Vortex Ball?

For most Pokémon, yes.
It should be noted that Master Balls do not work on Ultra Beasts (which in Vortex also includes Necrozma). Vortex Balls still work on Necrozma.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, That1Dragonarian said:

I decided that since my Shiny Torkoal only costed 27k Pokedollars (on Pokebay), I would make him keep Smog and Rapid Spin to do very little damage, as they are both 20 BP, but both are ineffective against a certain type.

That sounds like it could work.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Auke1993 said:

I assume you decided on False Swipe because it leaves a wild Pokémon with 1 HP in the main games.
Please note that this side effect does not exist within Pokémon Vortex. False Swipe is a basic damaging move, and nothing more.
Similarly, Fling also just deals damage, always the same amount.
Most side effects, outside of potential status afflictions, are not in Pokémon Vortex.

So is the only way to guarantee catching a Pokemon without killing it to use a Master/Vortex Ball?

10 minutes ago, Auke1993 said:

For most Pokémon, yes.
It should be noted that Master Balls do not work on Ultra Beasts (which in Vortex also includes Necrozma). Vortex Balls still work on Necrozma.

Darn, I guess I should stock up on those if I want to complete the National Dex. Thanks for helping!

2 hours ago, Auke1993 said:

They are helpful, but I usually only save them for Legendaries.
A Level 100 Pokémon using Wrap can slowly damage a wild Pokémon, as others have suggested to me.
Personally, I use a team of varying-leveled Pokémon that help me weaken wild Pokémon. I call it my hunting team. Whenever I go to catch a wild Pokemon I use that team.

I decided that since my Shiny Torkoal only costed 27k Pokedollars (on Pokebay), I would make him keep Smog and Rapid Spin to do very little damage, as they are both 20 BP, but both are ineffective against a certain type.