Pokémon Vortex
StreetFlare

Spawn Rates for Starters

Question

Hi there guys; been a long time since I played one of these kinds of games - I remember playing the predecessor back in 2005 as a little kid in primary school. 

Anyway; I was wondering what the current spawn rate is for starter pokemon on the maps; specifically Turtwig. I've been wandering around for days; and have only found four encounters with Grass starters in the grass maps - a Chespin, two Rowlet (normal and Mystic) and a Dark Snivy I unfortunately knocked out. I've been hunting for the turtle; and the lack of sight of it is starting to bug me a little. 

3 answers to this question

As per v4.0 changelog:

• The following Pokémon have all been moved to a lower spawn rate on the maps:
  1. Bulbasaur
  2. Chikorita
  3. Turtwig
  4. Treecko
  5. Snivy
  6. Eevee
  7. Porygon
  8. Squirtle
  9. Totodile
  10. Mudkip
  11. Feebas
  12. Piplup
  13. Froakie
  14. Oshawott
  15. Lapras
  16. Vaporeon
  17. Pichu
  18. Jolteon
  19. Charmander
  20. Cyndaquil
  21. Torchic
  22. Chimchar
  23. Flareon
  24. Larvitar
  25. Tepig
  26. Fennekin
  27. Dratini
  28. Ditto
  29. Bagon
  30. Riolu

See also this for more info regarding encounter rates: Clicky!

To my knowledge the spawn rates for the starters are slightly lower than 'regular' Pokémon such as Caterpie and Pidove.
Do note that the grass maps have a LOT of Pokémon that can appear there, so finding a specific one you're looking for may be more difficult there than on other maps.

Just now, Auke1993 said:

To my knowledge the spawn rates for the starters are slightly lower than 'regular' Pokémon such as Caterpie and Pidove.
Do note that the grass maps have a LOT of Pokémon that can appear there, so finding a specific one you're looking for may be more difficult there than on other maps.

I think they've been substantially lowered; though. I've seen more Beedrill, Tranquil or Pidgeotto than I have starters. It was similar when I decided to hunt for Totodile; I ended up giving that up after a fruitless few days. If Turtwig is time-of-day locked and at a spawn rate of; say 1%, then it might be one I can't find due to time zones.