Pokémon Vortex
ImmortalDarkCrow

Wonder Trade as money sink

In "old" Wonder trade, there was many players who just pushed unwanted pokemons in hope to get something good. In general it's not a problem, but if 50 players do same, in wonder trade was only low level common pokemons, that made players with better pokemons stop taking part in it. 

There were ideas on Discord server about seperating wonder trade by pokemon rarity (common for common, rare for rare etc.) but in general it's not great idea, as it will make it really boring and not interesting as well.

So my idea is to add paywall. Not as paywall, that you need to pay real money to unlock wonder trade, but as you pay x thousonds of pokedollars for 1 attempt in wonder trade. I was thinking about 10k pokedollars. 

As currently there are 2 real money sinks ingame, 1st is tax in pokebay that is for players with money but not top richest and 2nd is lottery for richer players that want Arceus (Unknown). But wonder trade with payment would be added it would add money sink for players with bit less money. Yea, and make them even poorer. SORRY.

But anyway. With this payment system in wonder trade, it would deal with common pokemon spamming and more players would take part as chance to get better pokemons would increase. As paying each time 10k pokedollars would accumulate in hefty sum of money, preventing leaching. Additionaly, it would make players play game more as well, as earned money could be used in wonder trade. As well adding addition money sink making money more valuable.

That's my idea. If you have something to add, would love to hear your ideas about it.

Edited by ImmortalDarkCrow
Grammar error
  • Thanks 1

• Developer

Hi, thanks for the idea.

Unfortunately, I don't see how this weeds out everyone putting low-value Pokémon into Wonder Trade. Fine, you've made them pay to use it but doesn't that just incentivise putting a low-value Pokémon into it now? Because otherwise they've paid twice (in theory) by putting something valuable into it, only to get something much lower back.

And this would be the correct way to use it as you're already at a loss going in because you had to pay Pokedollars to use the trade system.

Wonder Trade has been discussed, debated, picked apart etc at length many times over the years to find solutions to the two main problems of it:

• People don't want to use it after receiving x amount of Pokémon they didn't want
  • People putting nothing of value into it

There is no real solution to this and as a result, it's unlikely Wonder Trade will ever come back.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ImmortalDarkCrow said:

In "old" Wonder trade, there was many players who just pushed unwanted pokemons in hope to get something good. In general it's not a problem, but if 50 players do same, in wonder trade was only low level common pokemons, that made players with better pokemons stop taking part in it. 

There were ideas on Discord server about seperating wonder trade by pokemon rarity (common for common, rare for rare etc.) but in general it's not great idea, as it will make it really boring and not interesting as well.

So my idea is to add paywall. Not as paywall, that you need to pay real money to unlock wonder trade, but as you pay x thousonds of pokedollars for 1 attempt in wonder trade. I was thinking about 10k pokedollars. 

As currently there are 2 real money sinks ingame, 1st is tax in pokebay that is for players with money but not top richest and 2nd is lottery for richer players that want Arceus (Unknown). But wonder trade with payment would be added it would add money sink for players with bit less money. Yea, and make them even poorer. SORRY.

But anyway. With this payment system in wonder trade, it would deal with common pokemon spamming and more players would take part as chance to get better pokemons would increase. As paying each time 10k pokedollars would accumulate in hefty sum of money, preventing leaching. Additionaly, it would make players play game more as well, as earned money could be used in wonder trade. As well adding addition money sink making money more valuable.

That's my idea. If you have something to add, would love to hear your ideas about it.

to improve upon the discord idea, when you choose what rarity u want to trade, there could be a chance that it trades with a lower/higher rarity, that way the excitement will remain and it'll be fair too, like lottery.

Edited by veerkv

• Developer
12 hours ago, khyeborg said:

I wonder why Wonder Trade works with the mainstream Pokemon games. Because of haxxx? 

In part, yes. But also because of breeding. People breed competitive Pokémon all the time and wonder trade their unwanted results known as "breedjects" in the Pokemon game community. These Pokemon are still worth getting in wonder trade because they usually only have 1 bad IV or the wrong nature that the breeder was going for.